Coaching vs. Therapy
We want to take a few moments to make clear, the differences between Coaching and Therapy. Before we delve into these important distinctions, we want to be transparent with you about the unique benefit of engaging in Coaching with a mental health clinician. We are clinically trained and ethically sound therapists. We have received graduate education and post-grad training in human psychology, relational dynamics, the impacts and healing of trauma/PTSD, and the treatment of mental health disorders. What does this mean for you as a coaching client? It means that you can trust that we understand all the psychological, physiological and relational stuff that is stewing under the surface that could be holding you back or blocking you from getting where you want to be. It also means that we will adhere to the highest ethical standards while collaborating with you to create the life you want as a trauma recovery revolutionary. Your best interest is always number one!
Some differences between Coaching and Therapy
- Coaching is a process of taking inspired action toward specific goals. You set the goals and pace while we provide prescriptive steps that challenge and encourage you to be successful at attaining your true recovery desires.
- Therapy is a process of increasing awareness of mental health struggles and processing how these challenges impact your overall functioning. Therapy employs the medical model and is centered around correcting and healing.
- Coaching focuses on the present and future while Therapy involves exploring the past and how it the past maybe interrupting the present.
- Coaching utilizes specific strategies, action-oriented objectives, a clearly defined destination and a set amount of time to achieve the goals.
- Therapy involves the use of an open-ended treatment plan aimed at eradicating or alleviating mental illness symptoms. Yes, there are therapeutic strategies but they are a treatment for distress.
More ethics stuff and your first coaching task
Allow us to let you in on a little secret. Coaching is a significant part of the therapeutic stage we set for therapy clients. Those lucky ducks get the full package! But hey, you know what? Not everyone wants or needs or is ready to process the past through therapy. Just because you have survived relationship trauma does not mean that you must go to therapy to find freedom. Shhh, don’t tell anyone we said that!
Now for the we need to cover my butts part: Therapy is a crucial part of mental health and stability if your turbulent relationships have lead to significant issues such as PTSD, depression, anxiety, addiction, self-harm and other mood or behavioral disturbances. Because of our training and ethical safety nets, we will happily recommend you enter therapy if we think it’s needed.
We encourage you to do more research about how this process differs from the therapeutic because we only gave you a snippet. We want you to take the initiative to truly understand the aspects of each so you can make an informed decision. After you do this, let’s talk and we’re am happy to answer questions that result from your research! (There you have it, your first coaching assignment)!
Obviously we love therapy and it has a special place in our hearts, but because you may not feel the same, we have some wonderful coaching options just for you!
Trauma Recovery Coaching Packages
This is going to be sooooo good!